Our Volunteer Teams
Our teams are made up entirely of volunteers. Every participant, including the expedition leaders, pays his or her own way. Many of our volunteers have traveled with us on multiple expeditions, and each trip always includes new faces.
Each “Smiles for Latin America” team includes approximately:
- 20 General Dentists
- 5 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- 4 Endodontists
- 5 Physicians
- 1-2 Opthamologists
- 1 Prosthodontist or Dental Lab Technician (to make replacement teeth)
- 1-2 Nurses
- 1 Medical Lab Technician
- Dental and Oral Surgery Assistants
- 2-3 Experienced Haircutters
- Other volunteers to staff medical and dental clinics
Medical and dental professionals are encouraged (but not required) to bring a trained assistant and/or family members to assist or serve in the clinic.
Every member of the expedition is expected to serve full-time in some position within the clinic.
Although Spanish language skills are a nice benefit, volunteers do not need to be able to speak Spanish to join an expedition.